GSoC week #3 && Heya PlanetKDE :)


The fourth week of Summer of Code started today: it’s time, as usual, to talk about the progress I made during the last week.

However, since this is my first post on PlanetKDE too, I’ll spend a couple of lines to introduce myself. I’m Diego Casella, a 24 years student in  Engineering at the University of Padova ( major in Control Theory). In the 2009 edition of the GSoC I worked with Yuen Hoe and Shantanu within the PlasMate project and this year, inspired by some remarks about it, I’m developing an authentication library for plasmoids taking advantage of the QCA framework. A library on its own is not much useful of course, so I’m going to improve the Plasma widget explorer, its GHNS download widget and PlasMate as well in order to close the circle 🙂

The authentication library itself is not much complicate: it keeps track, loads and monitors for changes on the keys saved in the user PGP keyring, plus it adds the public keys shipped with KDE. It performs a subdivision of the keys according with their trust level and provides a method – signedByKey()- to easily test if the plasmoid and signature file passed as parameter to the function, has been signed with the key provided. In the public API, all the keys are referenced by their unique string ID, without showing the presence of the QCA framework under the hood.

After this brief introduction, let’s talk about what I did this last week: except fixing some issues on the library, I was (actually I _am_) still waiting for a response from the QCA developer about an API change I need to complete the library. So I decided to move forward, and I started playing with the widget explorer in order to show properly the new informations about the trust level of the scripted plasmoids found in the computer. This is the result I achieved:

Widgets Explorer

As you can see, under the plasmoid name there are a number of stars corresponding to its trust level; for detailed informations about the signer and the trust level, the tooltip has been improved too 🙂

However, I’m not really satisfied of this implementation: look at the amount of space wasted between the plasmoids names and the bottom of the widget due to a single scripted plasmoid. That’s why I’m considering to paint the rating starting from the bottom left corner of the plasmoid icon, and move the dialog-ok icon (used to advise that the current plasmoid is running) on the upper right corner in order to save space.

Oh well, that’s all for now. Stay tuned 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s