When I started writing my last blog post, exactly two weeks ago, I never imagined that I would receive so many positive feedbacks and responses1 for a project that, as I’ve always restated, was just an proof of concept and nothing more.
Anyways that experiment (and the act of sharing it with the community) leaded, besides the comments, to an awesome consequence: the developer in charge to improve KMix DBus interface and provide the Plasma applet replacement, Igor Poboiko2, sent me an email the same day I wrote the aforementioned post.
Long story short: he was busy (like me) with College duties so, after refactoring the DBus interface, he was forced to stop his work. But the amazing news was an other: he even wrote a Plasma DataEngine, and a Plasma Service for KMix 😀
So we joined our forces, I advised him to publish his work on reviewboard (he did a huge work, kudos!) to receive more feedbacks about his doings and I started coding, on my spare time, to a new KMix applet replacement. Since I had at my disposal this new “mixer” Plasma DataEngine, I started wondering why not making a QML applet, instead of a regular C++ plasmoid.
No sooner said than done, and this is the result (still incomplete) of my work:
The applet has all the basic functionalities required for a mixer, you can modify the volume level/state for each control (in my past experiment, I was only able to act on the Master) but still, there is a lot of room for improvements.
As soon as Igor’s work will be published, also mine will land on reviewboard and, hopefully, will be part of the kdemultimedia module 🙂
Stay tuned for updates, cheers!
1: I even scored the busiest day on my blog, and my previous record was half of the visit I received that day O.o↑
2: Unfortunately, he doesn’t have a blog; I’ve found his sourceforge and twitter page, if you are interested↑